Town of Rockingham, Vermont
Rockingham is a town located in Windham County, Vermont. As of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 5,309. Rockingham includes the incorporated village of Bellows Falls on the Connecticut River, as well as Saxtons River, & Cambridgeport as well as a large rural area west of Interstate 91, with Bartonsville, Rockingham Village (Rockingham Meeting House), & Brockway Mills. Municipal Organizations
The village of Bellows Falls had a total population of 3,165 according to the 2000 Census and is an economic hub in the area, with a small retail base as well as restaurants, entertainment venues, historic sites, and lite manufacturing. The Town Hall on the Square features a clock tower & houses the Rockingham & Village of Bellows Falls governmental offices, the Bellows Falls Opera House (regular showing of movies under the operation of the Recreation Dept), The Women's Club meeting room, and several retail storefronts. Bellows Falls has many Victorian through 1920's homes and has an active arts, music and literary community. Available transportation includes Amtrak, Vermont Transit, Connecticut River Transit & Green Mountain Railroad excursion trains. 3rd Friday Art Walk features many Bellows Falls businesses and organizations and has been expanded to include similar venues in the surrounding villages in Vermont & New Hampshire.
The Village of Saxtons River is the second-largest population center (c500 residents) within the Town of Rockingham. There are several falls on the Saxtons River with water-powered mills in the early 19th century stimulating industry, including woolen and saw mills, a grist mill, tannery, distillery, clock manufacturer, and hotel. In 1820, the Town established boundaries of the village, and in 1905, the Village of Saxtons River was incorporated and since then has been overseen by a Board of Trustees elected by residents of the Village.
The Town of Westminster
Westminster holds a special place in Vermont's history. It is the oldest town in the State, established in 1735, the Westminster Massacre of 1774 marked one of the pre-revolutionary skirmishes between colonial forces & colonists, and it was in Westminster, in 1777, that Vermont declared itself an independent nation.
The town consists of three villages, Westminster Village, North Westminster and Westminster West, that are separated by scenic rural countryside and while the town has kept up with the times, its character has changed little since colonial days. Westminster has a strong heritage of both agricultural excellence and industrial distinction, both of which remain vibrant today.
Westminster was an early regional leader in agriculture. A century ago it was noted for its sheep, beef, milk, apples, tobacco and maple syrup. Today these items, with the exception of tobacco, plus the addition of high quality organic vegetables and award winning cheese, form the basis of its agricultural production.
Although primarily an agricultural community, Westminster also has a strong industrial and commercial heritage. The sawmills and processing plants of the past have been replaced by healthy transportation and manufacturing concerns. Firms such as Burtco, L & B Freightliner, Bazin Brothers Trucking, The Woodstone Co., Cooperman Fife and Drum, and others form the backbone of the local economy, which is supplemented by dozens of smaller businesses.
Kurn Hattin Children's Home continues to be a major presence in town more than a century after it's founding.
Westminster is preparing for it's future by grounding itself firmly in it's past while adjusting to the changing times. Agriculture remains the defining characteristic of the town, at the same time new industry is helping to meet the needs of this growing community. With an artful combination of agricultural enterprises, rural living, business development, and employment opportunities Westminster continues to be a great place to live and work.
Town of Grafton, Vermont
Grafton is one of the prettiest villages in Vermont. Many of its beautiful old buildings have been lovingly restored by its residents and the Windham Foundation. What you see today looks much like it did years ago, along with more modern conveniences like a country store, lodging, restaurants, art galleries, cheese factory, and museums.
Walpole, New Hampshire
Walpole is a village of particular beauty and quiet charm. It was granted in 1736 as No. 3, chartered in 1762 and was named in honor of Sir Robert Walpole, Earl of Orford. It contains many architecturally significant old houses, including several associated with Col. Benjamin Bellows, the town's founder, and members of his family.
The first bridge across the Connecticut River, something of an engineering achievement, was built here in 1785 and is regarded as one of the United State's most famous early spans.
The town includes the villages of Walpole, North Walpole and Drewsville. Walpole is a rural agricultural town with numerous working farms, accredited primary schools, and a small but active business district. There are several restaurants, and recreational facilities are available. Summer band concerts on the spacious common have become a cultural tradition of this town.
Statistics for Walpole, New Hampshire - Walpole Town Library
Charlestown, New Hampshire
Charlestown is a town located in Sullivan County, New Hampshire. As of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 4,749. Charlestown includes the villages of North and South Charlestown. The town is home to Hubbard State Forest.
The area was first granted in 1735 by Colonial Governor Jonathan Belcher of Massachusetts as "Plantation No. 4," the fourth in a line of forts on the Connecticut River border established as trading posts. Settled in 1740, "Number Four" was the northernmost township, and its 1744 log fort became a strategic military site throughout the French and Indian Wars. Several settlers were ambushed and captured by the Indians, and in 1747 the fort was besieged for three days by a force of 400 French and Indians. Captain Phineas Stevens and 31 soldiers, stationed at the fort, repelled the attack. Their success became well-known, and the fort was never attacked again.
In 1753, the town would be regranted as "Charlestown" by Governor Benning Wentworth, after Admiral Charles Knowles of the British navy, then governor of Jamaica. Admiral Knowles, in port at Boston during the 1747 siege, sent Captain Stevens a sword to acknowledge his valor. The town responded by naming itself in his honor. In 1781, Charlestown briefly joined Vermont because of dissatisfaction with treatment by the New Hampshire government. Returning at the insistence of George Washington, it was incorporated in 1783. Part of Unity would be annexed in 1810.
A reproduction of the "Fort at Number 4 " is now a historical site, where military reenactments and musters occur frequently throughout the summer months. Tours are offered of its stockaded parade ground and pioneer-style houses.
From Wikipedia , the free encyclopedia
Statistics for Charlestown, New Hampshire - Schools